2010-06-21

The end is in sight

The end of our Greek summer, and of piecing the stars of Travel Quilt #2.

Today I basted the last of the star patches onto the plastic templates.  I have 7 stars to piece, and then a bunch of light blue background pieces to work in.  It won't be done before we leave Wednesday, but I'm really happy with the progress I've made.  I thought I'd take the time to upload a few pictures taken over the life of this quilt..
This was the beginning-- fall 2007.  Ahh, the good old days, when Costas would play his guitar while I sewed.  (this was his facebook profile picture for a long time.. until we had George, i think.)
Even though I had a lot of random fabrics from the beginning, my hopes were for this quilt to be mostly blues and greens.
That didn't exactly happen.  Looks like I'm a more "use what you have" type girl than I realized. 

I keep these two photos in my sewing kit-- the one above shows the part that's finished already-- what I left in NY just before we came to Athens.  The one below shows the color placement of what needed to be done.  I had never laid out an entire section like this before-- I always just pieced stars and then arranged them as I liked once I had 4 or 6 ready.  But now that I was so close to the end, I wanted to take exactly what I needed with me on this trip because I had hoped to finish it.  It was kind of strange working from this photo-pattern.  I kept having to look at it and lay it out so I wouldn't mess it up.  Very unlike me... usually I leave room for a little "fate" in my block placement :) 

And the last pic is a close up of how I started burying my knot at the start of piecing-- I take 2 or 3 teensy stitches and end at the corner I want to start sewing.  I have also started backstitching a few times at the end of my thread.  I really hope this quilt holds together for a long time...

It's already 11 p.m. so I should probably skip stitching tonight and just head to bed.  Tomorrow will be full of packing, sorting, and laundry.  I think we have a million people to say good-bye to as well.  But it was a good trip, such a good trip.  I'm actually leaving this time thinking it might not be so bad if we came to live here someday.. (mom, don't cry..)

4 comments:

Theodora quilts said...

jessica what a smart idea to take a picture of the completed part to continue with on your trip,It will be a very pretty quilt, what a smart cookie you are, have a nice trip back ,I might have time to call you again tonight, I hope george is doing well now,take care theodora.

Dee said...

sew impressed with your family, your organizational skills and your quiltey genius! safe trip home!

Amber Dawn said...

Wow - it looks great! This makes me want to try diamonds after I finish my hexagon quilt. :-)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Jessica! The quilt is fantastic. your trip. amazing. love the public crafting! hehe! see you in the fall, unless you come out to eh and visit me... ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails