2008-08-06

Stitch stitch stitch

Well, the housing contracts are signed and today marks 29 weeks pregnant, so I guess for updates, I'm doing quite good.

The month of August stretches out before me with hardly any hard and firm "plans" and for a few moments I was worried I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Last weekend I drove out to the Cape to see the Bayberry Quilters show, which was worth the 2 hr drive but sadly my camera batteries died after photos of the second quilt. Again, lots of hand quilting which made me so happy. On my way home I stopped at Tumbleweeds in Barnstable and spent more time there than I had at the show, leaving without the new Japanese magazines I had gone in for, but with a bag of fabric instead. It's rather strange how inspiration struck, really..

The bathroom of the shop is plastered with quilt posters (of course) and one showed the cover of Rowan's Patchwork & Quilting, Vol. 4, with Kaffe Fassett's "Bird Boxes" quilt on the cover. I have always admired his quilts, fabrics and books, but from a distance because I felt they were sooo expensive-- I thought you couldn't just buy 2 of his fat quarters, you'd need to buy ALL of his fabric and make quilts using only that, as he does in the books. Daunted by the idea, I never did. Sure, I bought the 2 or 3 fat quarters here and there, but never yardage (except for 2 yards of Glassworks-- one in green, one in gold..). On Saturday the Bird boxes quilt just spoke to me. I had favorited it on flickr ages ago and as I wandered through the shop, all sorts of bolts started to call to me, begging to get a place in this quilt.

I justified it by saying that we need a new quilt for our bed, and I'd hate to get another store-bought one when I have the whole month of August to sew as we wait for the new house to be ready... I bought 7 different solids, 6 KF shot cottons and one creamy yellow flannel. The color palette wasn't one I had spent much time thinking about, but all of the colors make me happy and comfortable, just what I want for the new house. I picked up some tiny bundles (9x11" pieces they had rolled up and tossed into a big kiddy pool near the register) and 2 matching fat quarters, the rest of the sashing squares will come from my stash.

I'd like to get the top pieced and sent out to a long armer in time to get it back before the 2nd week of Sept, when the move should actually happen. All the fabrics have been washed and now I'm in the cutting phase. I pieced 7 blocks and I like them, but cutting all those tiny squares (I've adjusted the pattern to make 12" blocks and 2" sashing strips) really just makes my days seem full of quilting. I'll cut some, then sew a block, cut some more, and turn to binding the baby quilt.. it's nice to have several tasks to bounce from, it's done a good job of warding off cabin fever so far. Hope my motivation doesn't wane though. I'd love to have this quilt on my bed some day...

3 comments:

Marisa said...

KF fabrics always attract me. His sense of color is really amazing. It's a bit on the wild side too. I have not used a lot of white with his fabrics, but in checking out your like, I like the look of it. Very calming.

Zegi said...

Hand quilting always makes me happy, too. Love the quilt in the photo--and I like your technique for picking the colors. Happy and comfy, that's the way to go alright...

Jessica said...

Oh, the link to the quilt on flickr is just for inspiration, I'm still scared to use too much white in a quilt myself, hehe..

Related Posts with Thumbnails