2008-08-28

Gone Sewin'

Last week while we were in Long Island, Costas had an all day orientation at the university so I dropped by Gone Sewin' and sat and quilted for a while. The more times I drive to this shop, the more I realize it is totally in walking distance from the house, provided the weather is nice. I really really lucked out on this one..

The shop is nice. Small and cozy but not cramped or over crowded. At one point there were 5 or 6 quilters in there working on projects and we all had enough space to do what we needed to do. Everyone was so friendly and I felt instantly comfortable when I got inside. Apparently there are a LOT of quilters on Long Island.. while sitting in the shop for a few hours, I was invited to 3 different get togethers, one being a thrice-weekly meeting of quilters in the park right next to my house!!. I'm really hoping I'll have the chance to attend at least once or twice before the baby comes..
Speaking of baby... that day I drew my quilting lines on Baby Quilt #2, using the Baptist fan template I got at Quilter's Stash. It's a bit tricky to line up the template, but I think I did ok.

After I had a portion drawn out, I started quilting. It's ok, but this quilt will take a lot of quilting, and right now my energy is not at that level. I'm pretty sure I won't get in done before the little one arrives, but I'll do my best anyway.
The worst thing about hand quilting these days (which I noticed again last night while quilting on the couch and watching the DNC) is that I usually curl up against the corner of the couch with my feet up, and hold the quilt on my knees.. now when I try to get into this position, I have this huge belly in the way and i can only stay in the position for about 2 lengths of thread. I will keep trying though...

3 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

I so know what you mean...
I have cats that are trying to take up that space too!
2 cats & a big belly - not the easiest to accomodate...

Zegi said...

Ooh! Quilting at the park...sounds nice. Good luck with quilting on the couch...maybe sit with legs out straight and use the belly for propping? I seem to recall doing that with plates of food while pregnant.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

when you find the right mix of like minded quilters that can support and inspire each other, that is the best, to me, about a quilt group, inspire is most important. Three times a week is a bit much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails