2008-04-26

Eating better?

My pregnancy food guidebook tells me that I need to add some new foods to my diet. Now, Costas and I think that we eat fairly healthy. We buy whole grain breads and organic milk, and eat way more salads than I did as a kid, but we're not health nuts. Looking over the recipies in the preg-food book, I didn't have any of those ingredients on hand. 4 days ago that scared me (lots of new ideas scare me at first), but today when I woke up and there was no food in the house, I felt a lot more brave and I went shopping.


Along with some fruits and tons of dairy, I also picked up some wheat germ, whole wheat flour, and blackstrap molasses. Molasses is healthy? Apparently it has tons of iron.

One recipe in the book caught my eye, Sweet Cottage-Cheese Pancakes. I altered it a bit because I didn't have apple juice concentrate, so instead I threw in some molasses and a whole apple..

Here's what I used:

  • 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
  • 1 whole egg
  • 3 egg whites (1/2 cup of "All egg whites" from a carton)
  • 2 tbs molasses
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tbs veg. oil
  • 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1 medium apple, peeled and sliced
  • Smart Balance (margarine) for frying

Combine everything but the apple and Smart balance in the blender and blend. Let rest 5 minutes. take your apple slices and your handy-dandy japanese cherry blossom shaped cutter, line up the flower over the star of the apple, and press. repeat for as many apple slices as you have.
Admire the cute little flowers that result, then toss them in the trash or compost pile.
Heat the smart balance over medium heat, drop 3 apple slices in the pan. Spoon batter over them so that the edge of the apple is covered all the way around. Cook pancakes as usual, carefully flipping so as not to dislodge the apple.
Serve with your choice of topping (I ate mine plain) and enjoy~

Original recipe can be found here, p. 223.

3 comments:

jude said...

i will try this tomorrow...

Helen said...

Those are some PRETTY pancakes!

Linda C. said...

Beautiful pancakes! I had to laugh at your comments about ironing. I have a little heap of blouses in my studio that I need to iron, and do you think I can get myself to do it? When I was first married, my DH was in grad school. He kept telling me that I should be ironing our sheets . . . this was pre-permapress era. I worked full time, and I refused. He said his mother ironed the sheets. I said if she ironed sheets when she had 12 children at home, she was dumber than I thought. So, one day, he decided he would iron the sheets, and show me how much better they were. Only, he didn't know about folding them and ironing them double. He tried to iron a full-sized sheet out flat. Needless to say, I never heard another word about ironing sheets!

Related Posts with Thumbnails