2008-01-10

Block a day

One of my very observant students gave me this Block a Day calendar for my birthday last month. Now I go into work every day and get to stare at a quilt block, counting the minutes until I can go home and try it out. We didn't go back to work until January 7th, so here are the blocks so far for this week:

Mon. 1/7/08:
Tue. 1/8/08:


Wed. 1/9/08:

I didn't make the block for today because it's very similar to Tuesday's (which was a pain in the ass, actually). I'm using the fabrics I had set aside for this quilt, and may incorporate the blocks into it should I ever decide to dive back into that project.

My favorite so far was Wednesday. I love what the little 4-patches do in the corners. I think I'd like to use this block in a whole quilt someday. Overall, I realized that I don't usually make geometric quilt blocks. I like how they look but I don't enjoy making them. I hate hate hate squaring up half-square triangles. A hatred that often leads to me sewing them and leaving the block unfinished, frustrated, and coming back to piece it the next day. But, the final result sure is cute...

Is anyone else making the blocks from this calendar? I'd love to do a quilt-along type thing, even if we don't end up making every one..

11 comments:

PJ said...

I have the same calendar! I have to admit though I have not made an blocks yet...perhaps you are my inspiration! I will seriously look at it tonight before bed...Maybe every midday I can make some between my routes!

Jessica said...

PJ,
I'd love to quilt along with you~ but I'll warn you... I haven't been able to whip any of these up quickly. each block has been a two-day process (i'm only sewing for 1-2 hours after work at night). they are addictive though, no matter how tough. after my post i went and started 3 more of yesterday's block.. maybe more pics tomorrow.

Helen said...

I have seen this calender but haven't got it! How tempting to look at it each day at work though! What are you going to make with all the blocks you sew up??

Nettie said...

I don't have this calendar, but am making blocks from Marsha McClosky's Block Party for a sampler quilt. So far all the ones you've posted are in this book. In fact, the one you said was your fave is the next one i was planning to try. I tend to make about five copies of each block bcs i'm making them for a swap, and with the idea that i may eventually want to make a second sampler.

Lindsay Jean said...

I've got a different block-a-day calendar by the same author - I'm posting one every day at http://jeanqueen666.blogspot.com - I admit that I'm cheating a bit and just making 7 blocks over the weekend!

Anonymous said...

I didn't get the calendar this year. I had it last year and didn't make any of the blocks. I've saved it for future reference though.

Zegi said...

You are ambitious or blessed with plenty of quilting time if you can fit in a block a day!!! Wow!

Lea said...

Hi, Jessica! Thank you for stopping by and left a nice comment for my blog earlier. "Arigatou-"
:-)
Your blocks are beautiful. I wonder... How big is this block?

Sue said...

Your blocks look great!

I got a calendar a couple of years back with a whole quilt on some days and the blocks for it on others. I ended up making 15 tops that year and am still working on quilting them! I have two in the quilting stage right now (one in a hoop, one on a frame.)

Have fun with your blocks!

SuzyQSparkles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SuzyQSparkles said...

You could always have Skaady-Wompus Triangles with less-than-perfect points AND get to cut the FUN 7/8" size instead of the full inch. :D

I just enjoy the fact that my triangle all come out PERFECT and then I go take that snarly nest of trimmings and either (if they are colors I like) put them in a pretty glass container to look at (I like Kalediscopes and such) OR take the pile outside for nesting materials for our fine feathered friends... you can even put the scraps in an old plastic mesh onion-type bag, and hang it somewhere, so the birds will know where to collect your generous contributions to their nesting materials!

Related Posts with Thumbnails