2007-02-01

February 1

I started the quilting last night after reading the very inspirational forward "Daffodils" that I got from both my aunt and grandmother yesterday. The story is about a woman who planted daffodil bulbs by herself, a few at a time, for 40+ years, and now there's an amazing daffodil garden on her property. It's supposed to show how much you can accomplish if you just take things one step at a time. That's a lesson I learned when Mrs. K was first teaching me how to quilt in Tomakomai-- "hito hari, hito hari" she'd say. "one needle, one needle" is the direct translation, but it's clearly an expression for "one stitch at a time."

Anyway, so that's what I did. After browsing a few books to find the quilting pattern I wanted to do, I sat down and got started. I'm quilting big circles, and one circle takes about one hour (with chatting and watching TV included). I did two last night. I want to try to do at least one per day. There is a deadline for this quilt, I want it to hang in the Guild's show on Sept. 14 & 15. But I don't want to stress about it. Let's just enjoy the process and see how it goes.

1 comment:

a said...

I've read the daffodils story also. It is very inspirational. Look forward to seeing an example of the quilting circles.

Related Posts with Thumbnails